Thursday, July 8, 2010

Leah Ann

I haven't been ready to post an update since that last post which is now already a month old. The last month has been a roller coaster ride. My fluid after that last post continued to go down until there was none left, and it was determined that I had ruptured my membranes at 18 weeks. Basically, my water broke- just 22 weeks too early. There is no treatment for this besides trying to stay well hydrated and stay in bed. So that's what I have been doing for the last 6 weeks, knowing that it could very well not make any difference, but still determined to do everything I could do give our little baby girl a chance.

Monday night I wasn't feeling well- and didn't sleep well through the night. About 4:30 Tuesday morning I started having contractions. Although I didn't go through labor with Ella because she was born via c-section, I knew that contractions 5 minutes apart meant I needed to be seen right away. I was admitted to Sacred Heart Hospital Labor and Delivery at 7am- already 3 cm dilated. My blood tests showed an elevated white count which meant I was getting, or already had an infection (one of the major risks of having ruptured membranes for so long). The baby's heart was beating, but with some signs of distress. Because of the infection there was no option but to let nature take its course and let the labor progress.

Leah Ann was born at 5:18pm on July 6th, 2010 at 22 weeks +5 days gestation. She weighed 1 lb 6oz and was 10 3/4 inches long. We could see her little heart beating, but she did not open her eyes or take any breaths. She was very peaceful and we know this was Heavenly Father's plan for her.

We were able to spend some precious time with Leah and we feel peace. We are very grateful for her life, and for her sweet little Spirit.

I have not been very public about my emotions through this pregnancy- in fact, many friends did not even know that we were expecting. Some of this I thought would just come with time-(unfortunately, something we did not have much of). It was very difficult to go into the ultrasound where we were excited to find out what we were having, and leave with the sick feeling that there was a very real chance our baby would not live. The last 6 weeks have been the most difficult weeks of my life.

I can not deny the tender mercies we have been shown, the love that we have felt and the strength of God that has been so abundantly available to us through all of this. There is nothing easy about this, but it is easier for us right now because we know without any doubt that God has been acutely aware of us through everyday of this pregnancy. He has heard our prayers, and the prayers of our dear family and friends- and I feel so strongly that I know our prayers have been answered- although differently than how we had hoped.

I don't know what the days ahead will hold for us as far as our emotions go, but I do know that We feel peace. We feel gratitude. We feel SO very loved, by so many people in our lives - Family, friends, co-workers and especially by our Heavenly Father. We will get through this. Thank you for your prayers, your phone calls- even if I don't answer them I save your messages and have listened to them many times. Thank you for your emails and texts. We feel your love and support and please know that we appreciate you.

13 Comments:

Blogger MaryClaire Brown said...

Laura--

I am just so sorry that you have to go through this. I'm sorry for your pain and how much you must wish for things to have turned out differently. But, I'm so grateful for your perspective and your attitude, at least at the time you wrote this post. I'm grateful for the knowledge of God's plan for you and your relationship with Him that is getting you through this. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you like crazy right now.

Love you!
Claire

July 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger anna b. said...

i'm in tears.

love you so, so much.

that was so beautifully written. once again, i am in awe of my sweet friend.


love you.

July 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger MBlairsLars said...

Laura, We love you and are so sorry for your sweet little family. Leah is a beautiful name, and she is so lucky to have a mother like you. Please know that we are thinking and praying for you. Love ya!!!

July 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your loss Laura.
I spent the evening last night with a friend of mine who had a big scare with her pregnancy, and I couldn't stop thinking about you. I can't imagine how hard these last 6 weeks have been & I want you to know that you are loved. I've always admired your strength and I appreciate you sharing your testimony and how it has grown through this experience.
Leah must be a special spirit. What a blessing to have the gospel and to be sealed as a family & to know that you will be with her again one day.
Love you Laura.

July 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger RaeRae said...

you are amazing. My heart aches for you. What an amazing perspective you have chosen to have. I love you you are in our prayers.
suzy

July 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger The Thomas Family said...

Love you, hang in there.

July 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Found your blog through Baby Girl Tee. She and I met through an online pprom support group and actually ended up delivering the same day.

Also wanted to extend my sympathies to you and your family. I wouldn't wish the stress, anxiety and emotional toll pprom takes on a woman and her family on anyone. And to lose the sweet little baby you've worried about and worked so hard to hang onto just seems to be more than anyone should ever be asked to bear.

I admire you and your strength and wish you and your family all the peace and hope in the world at this time and the abundance of the Comforter.

Hugs,
Wendy

July 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger The Fawson Family said...

Laura,
We are so sorry for your loss and so amazed by your strength and testimony. Thasnk you for your desire to share your beautiful daugter.

July 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Sean and Chelsea Van Wagenen said...

Lala, I am so sorry to hear about this. My prayers go to you and your family. I really cannot believe how strong you are. I'm sure you have your moments but thats expected. Hang in there and know that I love you and I'm praying for you. I think of you often. Love you!

July 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

La, I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you and praying for you. I admire you so much, you have really touched me and I hope you know how much I love you. I am not the greatest friend..but I hope you know I think of you VERY often and that I am especially thinking of you now.

I love you.
Meliss

July 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Jandre said...

Hey guys,
I only found out yesterday. I'm so sorry. I know there isn't anything I can say that will make you feel better. I envy your strength. I ache for your loss. Please tell me if I can do anything for you? Like everyone, we'll pray that you and your family continue to find comfort and peace in a time of sorrow. I'm here if you need to talk.
Love ya,
Jandre

July 26, 2010 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Jamie and Carynn said...

You guys are so strong! I am so glad you had some time with Leah and that you have peace. You are in our thoughts and prayers!

August 6, 2010 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Beach Mommy said...

La La~ I had no idea and apologize for that... it's amazing that we can endure what we do in this life. HF has some big plans for sweet Leah Ann, though it doesn't seem fair to the family who's waiting to be with her again... thank heaven for the knowledge that you will be ~ love you all ~ G

August 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home