Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ear Surgery


I am having ear surgery on Wednesday to fix a chronic ear problem. I have a hole in my eardrum and infection in the bone. So here are the risks of this surgery.
1. Facial paralysis--- the left side of my face could droop the rest of my life.
2. Total deafness in my left ear (the ear to be operated on)
3. Infection-- meaning like meningitis.

I understand why doctors have to tell you about the risks of surgical procedures... but when reviewing these risks I've always thought "oh we can skip this part...nothing bad will happen to me. In general, it seems I always think "nothing will happen to me"
For example, when I was in high school I drove an 87 Jeep. It had these big black latches to keep the hood down while driving. One day after checking the oil, I forgot to fasten the latches. I noticed this a few minutes into my drive and distinctly remember thinking "Oh, nothing will happen to me, I'll just fix them when I get where I'm going." A few minutes later I found myself in the fast lane (5 lanes away from the emergency lane) with by hood slammed against my windshield, unable to see where I was going. Scary...yes. Stupid of me... yes.
More recently, Jared and I were touring the local hospitals to decide where we wanted Ella to be born. The hospital closest to us does not have a Neonatal ICU. We discussed this, and actually said it didn't matter because, " we won't need that anyway." Just two days later Ella was born 6 weeks early due to a complication that occurs in like 2.5% of pregnancies and spent the first month of her life in a hospital that did have a NICU.
For the first time last week, while listening to my doctor review the risks of this ear surgery, I found myself afraid, and very aware that one of these things could actually happen to me. I guess the older I get, the more I realize that bad things can and actually will happen to me. I will have trials. Some of these "bad things" will be avoidable trials- ones cause by my own poor judgement (like the hood on my Jeep and the broken windshield it caused). Some of these things will happen just because they are a part of life. My hope is that instead of thinking "this won't happen to me" I will prepare myself spiritually and temporally to be able to deal with the things that can and will happen we then come along.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope your surgery went good! I loved this post. Thanks for giving me something to think about. Love ya

August 21, 2008 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger CB2 said...

This was an awesome post, Laura. I hope the surgery went well. According to the picture, at least you're not paralyzed! And yes, the bandage looked ridiculously large.

Off topic, you have such a gorgeous family. Ella is beautiful, and, not to be a meany, but many newborns aren't...congrats!

Cherise

August 27, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home